How can crafts work damage my health?Many types of crafts are done in the home, where women work alone. This makes them less likely to know of common health problems caused by work and how to prevent them.
Common health problems from craft or skill:
- Pottery making: Lung diseases similar to those miners get (fibrosis, silicosis)
- Pottery painting: Lead poisoning
- Sewing, embroidery, knitting, lace making, weaving: Eye strain, headaches, low back and neck pain, joint pain
- Work with wool and cotton: Asthma and lung problems from dust and fibers
- Use of paints and dyes: See 'Work with Chemicals'
- Soap making: Skin irritation and burns