What can I do if I myself feel suicidal?If you have been feeling extremely depressed for a long period of time; feeling as if there is no hope left, no way to deal with all the problems you are facing every day, and nothing left worth living for, then you might think committing suicide is the only solution. However, the truth remains that suicide is a problem, not a solution. Even if you think there is no solution to your problems right now, it does not mean this other solution does not exist and will not appear in the near future. It just means that you cannot see it right now and you have to hold on tight to the reins of life.
Think for a minute: Have you always felt like you do right now? The chances are; there were times in your life when you did not mind so much, times when things were not so bad, maybe things were good even. Doesn’t that mean that something in your life changed to make you feel so down? And if it was change that caused so much pain doesn’t it also mean that another change can take the pain away? So be patient, the day will come when things change for the better. Life is a cycle of joy and sorrow, after all.
IMPORTANT THINGS TO NOTE:
- Do not blame yourself for feeling suicidal. Life’s burdens are just part of life. It’s not your fault.
- Being suicidal doesn’t make you a bad person, or crazy, or weak, or flawed.
- It does not even mean that you really want to die - it only means that you have more pain than you can cope with right now. If someone starts piling weights on your shoulders, you will eventually collapse if one added enough weights, no matter how much you want to remain standing. This is normal.
- Speak to someone supportive (whether a friend, lover, relative, known person or supportive stranger)
- See a doctor, a therapist or a health worker
- Consider the likely responses and pain of those you leave behind
- Do not use suicide attempts as a means of revenge, or to send a message‘
- Look for the support of others in similar situations, possibly a support group or something similar.
- Do not act on impulse.