How can I prevent my children from burning injuries from fires or flames?
To prevent this kind of burn:
- keep young children away from cooking fires, matches, paraffin lamps, candles and flammable liquids such as paraffin and kerosene
- put stoves on a flat, raised surface out of the reach of children
- if an open cooking fire is used, make it on a raised mound of clay, not directly on the ground. A barrier of mud, bamboo or other material or a playpen can also be used to keep young children out of reach of the cooking place.
- do not leave small children alone near fires or to tend fires or cook
- keep children away from heaters, hot irons and other hot appliances
- never leave a child alone in a room with a candle or fire burning.