How can I prevent Anemia?
- If malaria, parasites, or worms are causing your anemia, treat these diseases first.
- Eat foods rich in iron along with foods rich in vitamins A and C, which help the body absorb iron. Citrus fruits and tomatoes are rich in vitamin C. Dark yellow and dark green leafy vegetables are rich in vitamin A. If a woman cannot eat enough foods rich in iron, she may need to take iron pills.
- Avoid drinking black tea or coffee, or eating bran (the outer layer of grains) with meals. These can prevent the body from absorbing iron from food.
- Drink clean water to prevent infection from parasites.
- Use a latrine for passing stool, so that worm eggs will not spread to food and water sources. If hookworms are common in your area, try to wear shoes.
- Space births at least 2 years apart. This will give your body a chance to store some iron between pregnancies.