Why is smoking even more dangerous for me as a woman?
In addition to other problems, women who smoke have a greater risk of:
- difficulty getting pregnant (infertility).
- miscarriage, and babies born too small or too soon.
- problems when using birth control pills.
- monthly bleeding that ends earlier in life (menopause).
- weaker bones that break more easily during mid-life and old age (osteoporosis).
- cancer of the cervix and womb.
A woman who is pregnant should try to avoid people who are smoking, so that the smoke will not harm her baby.