Which drugs should I avoid to stay healthy?Many kinds of drugs are used in everyday life. In some places, drugs or brewed drinks have a sacred role in traditions. In other places, alcoholic drinks like wine or beer are commonly served with meals. Drugs and alcohol are often part of festive or social events. And some drugs are used as medicines. Many people do not realize that alcohol and tobacco are harmful drugs.
Some drugs that are often used in harmful ways are:
- alcohol: drinks such as brew, beer, spirits, liquor, wine
- cocaine, heroin, opium, methamphetamine
- betel, khat, tobacco leaf
- marijuana and hashish
- pills that help a person lose weight or stay awake
- medicines, especially those for severe pain, or that help a person sleep or relax
- glue, fuels, and solvents.